Friday, May 17, 2013

World Superbike Star Chaz Davies Talks About His Double Win At Aragon


Last weekend was a momentous moment for Welsh World SBK rider (and FreestyleXtreme sponsored athlete) Chaz Davies. After just his second race for the factory BMW GoldBet Motorrad Team, he managed a double race win at the Motorland Aragon circuit in Spain. Chaz takes a few moments out to talk to us... 

Hi Chaz. What a weekend! Your first victory with BMW, fastest lap record and a double podium! How does it feel?

It feels pretty darn good to be honest! It was a great weekend from start to finish but to cap it off with a double win is something special and quite unexpected. I knew on Saturday that we had the pace to fight at the front and thankfully on Sunday everything clicked into place and my BMW was working great.

Aragon has now been the location for several great achievements in your racing career. Surely it must be your favourite circuit now?

I really like Aragon but we go to a lot of great circuits so I don’t really have a favourite. In terms of results it’s always been kind to me so it’s definitely up there in the top 3!

The rest of the BMW GoldBet Motorrad team must be thrilled. How did you celebrate?

It was all pretty calm. I went back for seconds on the podium champagne and shared it amongst my crew and then just had some good food in the team hospitality that evening followed by a 3 hour drive to Barcelona airport. Pretty rock n roll, huh!?


What sort of reaction have you got from your fans?

My Facebook page and twitter has been flat out with compliments. I appreciate all the feedback and I’m glad that I could provide the entertainment on Sunday afternoon!

We know that is still early in the season, but your performance at Aragon has propelled you into second place in the championship. You’re in contention for the title now…

To be honest I’m not thinking about the championship at this stage. I said at the start of the season that top 5 is the goal and I’ll stand by that. There’s a long way to go and WSBK can always throw up surprises so for now I’ll just keep my head down and worry about the points at a later date. 


Having achieved so much you set out to do so quickly, what new targets have you set yourself for the rest of the year?

I love to win races so that’s a big enough target for the mean time. I just want to keep up the hard work and establish myself at the front of WSBK races every weekend.

How are you going to approach the next race at Assen?

Just like any other, head down! I’m really enjoying working with all my crew and directly with BMW so I can’t wait to get back in that environment and try to repeat the Aragon performance.